Welcome to the first Teach Tip Tuesday.
With 2 weeks to go until students arrive back at school in Queensland from their long Christmas break, the first part of my organisation for going back to school is to make sure that I have a work space that I can be productive in.
Whether it’s your home office or school desk, the best way to begin the school year is with a tidy and organised space free of clutter.
Now is the time to get your desks and offices in order in 7 easy steps.
1. Clear out all old documents that you don’t need to keep.
- Don’t forget to recycle all of that paper.
- Ensure you store your diary, attendance records and mark books. (Or go digital… post to come)
2. Cull resources that you haven’t used in the past 4 years. Ask the following questions if you aren’t sure whether to keep or toss:
- Is it still relevant to the current curriculum?
- Was it a good resource when I used it last?
- Would students still engage well with it?
- Is there a better resource I could use? ( check out teacherspayteachers for some amazing worksheets)
If you must keep it; create a digital copy by scanning the document.
3. Clear out old stationary.
- If you’re like me who collects stationery you might like to house the excess in a box out of the way.
4. Organise your top draw so that all essentials are easy to find.
- Reserve your top draw for items that you regularly need throughout the day. Pen, pencils, ruler, calculator, stapler etc.
5. Decide on a system for incoming and outgoing paperwork.
- My school office has a series of draws each with a particular purpose so that incoming paperwork is easy to file and find if required.
6. Clear your desk top
- Ensure only the most important items are located on your desk. This helps prevent you getting distracted by other tasks that you may not be up to yet.
- Reset your desk at the end of each day.
7. Add some personal touches to your space. Photos, plants, trinkets etc.
- it’s nice to have reminders in your work space of the reasons that you are at work. My office has photos, a couple of art pieces on the wall, and a few trinkets from my kids.
Now that your have created your tidy and organised workspace your ready to face another year.
Feel free to leave your thoughts on organising your work space and pictures in the comments below or on our facebook page.
Below are some links to other blogs on organising your office space / desk.
Other Links can be found on my pintrest page: