As we pass the hump point of the term and look forward to the holidays, it can be hard on some days to continue to maintain a positive outlook about the rest of the term.
Right about now our students are settled in our classes; rules and routines have been established and maybe the drudge of daily school life is starting to settle in. Now is the time that some students to start to raise their heads, maybe make a lesson a nightmare or with all the pending assessment they just act out over their stress.
I know that some days I find it hard to remember the positive parts of my day and I’m pretty sure everyday has some and that’s what this weeks post is about. Keeping your outlook positive even when it seems hard to remember those positive events in your day or week. This week we have 5 suggestions of ways to keep the positive things that are happening at work front and centre.
5 Ideas to Keep the Positives Front and Centre
1. Every time you have a positive thought or experience through the day record it and bottle it. This way when you are feeling down and having difficulty remembering why you do this job pull out one or two of your positive thoughts.
Making a memory jar by lalaleelou.com
2. Keep a positivity wall. You had positive thoughts to the wall when you are feeling up. When you feel down you can remove the positive thought that you would like to feel. See an example here.
3. Keep a positives journal. Make a bullet point of each positive that happens in your school day.
4. Write someone a note anonymously that acknowledges something positive that they did. Looking for positives in what a colleague is doing may just help you find your own positives for the day. Or at least keep your perspective. Positivity breeds positivity!
5. Smile. If your not feeling it fake it. Smiling throughout the day can help you to focus on those things that have gone great guns for the day. You know the saying “fake it until you make it” that can apply here just as well as anywhere else.
So next time you are feeling that the day is against you don’t be the downer in your staffroom, pull out some of your saved positives to keep your positives front and centre always!
How do you keep positive at work? Please share in the comments or on our facebook page.